Friday, February 08, 2008

Trying to Finish up the rest of our trip


Area where the Kechene Women's Pottery is Located

Surroundings

The big ditch

The materials for making the poottery






So I am feeling bad that I never finished Blogging about our trip..I will try to do so now!
Tuesday we went to the Pottery Factory. The other families had gone on Saturday while Hillary was ill, so we had yet to go. Selemnah took us...along the way we saw poverty unlike anything we had seen prior to this point. It was devastating to see what these people survived with. Their shops were smaller than my bathroom..and not only was it their shop..but it was also where they lived. They had soooo little...yet some still had smiles on the face. It really is something..that those who have the least are some of the kindest, happiest, gentle souls I have ever met. AND in comparison those who live in this country...who have everything never seems to be quite happy enough, never seem to have quite enough, always needing the newest, biggest, better thing. On the way to the Pottery Factory, Selamneh had to make a quick side trip to check out an area where Berthe was to go to for a meeting the next day. It was down a very bumpy road with deep ditches on either side. It was fun...untill he had to turn around...I don't know how he managed not to get those back wheels into the ditch..but he did it! Amazing....I am shocked how they get themselves into and out of the smallest or tightest spots. Driving in Addis is not for the light of heart. When we arrived in addis...my sister asked where the seatbelt was. Selamneh overheard her ask me this..and he said "forget Canada" hahaha.
The pottery shop was amazing. Nathaniel was sound asleep..and Selamneh offered to hold him so I could take a look around easily. We had a great time here..and I found my most prized possession from Ethiopia. A handmade Nativiy...it is simple and beautiful..but such a family treasure that will be passed down to Nathaniel when he has his own family someday.


In the afternoon, we took our donations and gifts back to the foster home. I felt quite teary here as I knew it was likely the last time Nathaniel would see the women who took care of him for the last 7 months for a while. Yes we will go back to visit, but when and I don't know if the same caregivers will be there. It was hard because I was taking him from all that was familiar to him, the sights, smells and sounds of the fosterhome and Ethiopia was all he has known. I presented Haregewain with the gift from everyone..and got a big hug from her as well. As we were leaving Sinyet (sp??) came into the hallway and saw Nathaniel...she called his name, and he turned his head. I leaned him into her and she held him for a short period. It was nice that she was able to see him again. Then he reached his arms out for me...which I have to say melted my heart...he really did know me :) :)
We said our goodbyes and were on our way back to the guesthouse.
I will add some pics of the day above.
Louise

1 comment:

hazel said...

I was hoping you would post again soon. I love the pictures in this and your next post.